Saudi Arabia said Saturday that at least 500 Shiite insurgents have been taken out in border clashes since the coalition launched air strikes against the Huthi rebels in troubled Yemen.
Officials in a statement said that in Riyadh three soldiers were also killed in a mortar attack on the border with Yemen on Friday.
This was the first time officials gave out a report on the amount of deaths since the clashes started between rebels and allied forces.
Earlier this week, a representative of the coalition Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri told the media at his daily briefing in Riyadh there had been 1,200 coalition air strikes between March 26 and today.
He said the raids have been really effective and that the air strikes will continue. Assiri also told reporters: “At the appropriate time, we will take action on the ground.”
SPA, which is a Saudi news agency, said that the defence ministry had confirmed three dead Saudi soldiers on Friday, and two more that were wounded when mortar rounds hit their observation post near the border.
Just last week, three Saudi guards located near the border were killed by rebels.
Red Cross Aid
With the Saudi air strikes and the heavy fighting on land in Yemen showing no signs of stopping anytime soon, the Red Cross sent more aid to the affected areas.
The aid is really important for hundreds of people wounded in the fighting between pro-government forces and the Huthi rebels, who support ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Several forces joined together to fight against the rebels and sent warplanes on Saturday that launched several raids in and around the capital, Sanaa.
On the 18th day of the air attacks, a raid on military targets took out eight rebels. This was confirmed by medics in the area.
According to medics and military officials, clashes in the city of Aden since late Friday between rebels and pro-government forces have killed at least 42 people including three civilians.
“The new cargo is 35.6 tonnes, of which 32 tonnes is medical aid and the rest water purifying equipment, electric power generators and tents,” ICRC spokeswoman Marie Claire Feghali said.
The Red Cross and the United Nations are doing the best they can to help out in the deadly conflict. They sent planes to Sanaa on Friday, each with 16 tons of medicine and equipment, the first aid delivery to the troubled area since the attacks started.
Vesti.ru, a Russian news website, reported that two Russian planes could not land in Sanaa on Saturday to evacuate hundreds of civilians after they were denied permission to land in the nation.
The United Nations has asked for the sides to provide a little break on the battles to give help to the population.
UN humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, Johannes Van Der Klaauw, said an “immediate humanitarian pause in this conflict” was desperately needed to allow aid deliveries.
Rebel Convoy Attacked
The World Health Organization says almost 650 people have lost their lives and more than 2,000 are injured in the recent fights. Yemen’s second city Aden has seen some of the toughest clashes.
On Saturday, forces supporting Hadi ambushed rebels riding a 30 vehicle convoy which tried to enter a neighborhood where most of the oil refineries are located, Hadi loyalists said.
In this ambush, thirteen rebels and four loyalists lost their lives.