Germany: Letters Claiming Responsibility of Borussia Dortmund Bus Blasts May Be Fake

Police in Germany continue to investigate the Borussia Dortmund bus blasts and the letters that were found nearby, which claimed responsibility for the attack. Police have said they continue to investigate in all directions but they now believe the letters found may be fake.

The letters were found near the area where the three explosives were placed. Authorities have arrested a 26-year-old Iraqi but experts are not so sure that the letters were placed there to claim responsibility. They believe the letters could have been used to blame the attack on someone else.

It’s been one week since the attack but it’s now being revealed that the attack could have gone much worse. The metal pins used in the explosive device reportedly flew over the bus and didn’t injure anyone inside. An investigator told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper that if the explosives had been fired around one second earlier, the bus would have taken the full load.

The Borussia Dortmund team was traveling on the bus when the explosions happened. Central defender Marc Bartra was injured during the explosions and had to undergo surgery on his arm. The team was on its way to the stadium to play a match against Monaco in the Champions League. Authorities evacuated the stadium and Dortmund fans helped Monaco fans find a place to stay for the night on social media.


The game was played the following day but Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel was not happy with the decision, saying Borussia Dortmund felt completely ignored and that he wished for more time to prepare. The game between Borussia Dortmund and Monaco was played on Wednesday, April 12 and ended with a 3-2 result. Borussia Dortmund will need to score at least two goals and not allow any against Monaco to advance to the next round. Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said two days ago that the club considered withdrawing from the Champions League after the explosions.

Marc Bartra, the only player injured by the explosions, thanked all fans and people for their support on a social media post before the Champions League. He was released from hospital two days ago and was recently visited by two former Barcelona teammates. Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel has confirmed that the central defender will be out for about four weeks.