Spain’s Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido revealed earlier today that the terror cell behind the attack in Barcelona has been dismantled.
On Thursday, an attack in Las Ramblas left 13 people dead and many injured. The Interior Minister said during a news conference that the cell had been dismantled in Barcelona.
Police are still searching for two suspects and have said that there could be more arrests. One of the suspects is linked to the attack on Thursday while the other is linked to an attack that happened on Friday.
Police arrested a few suspects after Thursday’s attack but confirmed that they had not caught the driver of the van. The driver fled the scene on foot.
Hours after the attack, police shot dead five suspects. One of the suspects killed by police was Moussa Oukabir, who authorities say may have used his brother’s documents to rent the van used in the attack. According to recent reports, he also rented a second van to escape.
Authorities and officials say the cell had more than ten men. They say the suspects were planning to make bigger attacks but that they had to use vehicles after something went wrong with their explosives. On Wednesday, an explosion at a house left the group without material for the attacks. Authorities arrested a man after the explosion.
Police have arrested three people so far, including the brother of Moussa, who turned himself in after telling police that his documents had been stolen and that they had been used to rent the van. Authorities are still looking for the driver and another van, which reports say may have been driven to France.
Emergency services have also given an update on the people injured during the attacks. They said 12 are in critical condition and 24 are in serious condition. The Cambrils attack left one seriously injured and three others with minor injuries.