Police say the terror cell behind the two attacks on Thursday and Friday were storing 120 gas canisters. They say the 12 men were planning to use the gas canisters in vehicle attacks.
The gas canisters were found at a house being used by the terror cell. That house exploded on Wednesday night and authorities believe something went wrong. Yesterday, the government revealed that the terror cell had been dismantled.
The house involved in the explosion is part of the investigation since authorities believe the men were planning bigger attacks.
On Thursday, a van drove through the pedestrian area in Las Ramblas. The attack left 13 people dead and many injured. Police arrested a few suspects after the attack but not the driver, who fled the scene on foot. On Friday, another vehicle attack in the town of Cambrils left one woman dead. Police shot dead five suspects shortly after the second attack.
A police official said the men had been planning the attacks for months. One of the suspects shot dead after the second attack was Moussa Oukabir, who police say used his brother’s documents to rent two vans. His brother was arrested after going to the police to report that his documents had been stolen. One suspect was arrested after the house explosion.
Police are still searching for the driver, who fled the scene on foot. Catalan Police Chief Josep Lluis Trapero spoke about the investigation and said that the cell is still of 12 men and that one person remains on the run. That person is the van driver, who according to Spanish media is Younes Abouyaaqoub. The police chief also said that two sets of human remains have not been identified. The human remains are rumored to be from the house explosion. Authorities believe the men were using the house to prepare explosives.