LAPD Arrests Man In Connection With Swatting Call That Led To Shooting

A 25-year-old man has been arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department just a day after a swatting call led to the shooting of an innocent man in Wichita, Kansas. On December 28, Andrew Finch was shot at his front door after police received a hoax emergency call.

The hoax emergency call came from a man who claimed that he had killed a family member and taken a few others hostage. Authorities quickly responded and surrounded the home, which had no connection to the dispute.

The dispute reportedly began between two Call of Duty players. One of the players threatened the other with swatting. The other player then gave a fake address and that address was reportedly given to another person who knew about swatting. The emergency call, which was recently made public, led to the shooting of a man who had nothing to do with the dispute.

Police surrounded the home after the call and have said one round was released by officers when the man at the door failed to comply with verbal orders. Police later confirmed that the man was unarmed. Authorities searched the house but found that the family had not been injured or taken hostage.

LAPD arrested Tyler Barriss on Friday after allegedly providing Finch’s address to authorities. Finch’s family has confirmed that he was not involved in online gaming. UMG Gaming, the online platform where the Call of Duty players were participating, posted a tweet on December 29 saying that they will do everything they can to assist authorities in this matter.

Wichita Police Deputy Chief Troy Livingston said that the irresponsible actions of the prankster put people and lives at risk. He added that the incident was a nightmare for the family and the police department. According to several news sites, Mr. Barriss has a history of making bomb threats.

In recent years, there have been numerous swatting incidents. Back in 2014, Jordan Matthewson, known as Kootra on YouTube, was live streaming an online game when a SWAT team raided the office where he was playing. The incident was broadcast live since he had a live stream on at the time. In September, a teenager involved in several swatting incidents was given a nine month sentence. He will serve six of those months at a youth group home and the other three at home. He was also sentenced to 18 months of probation.