Police Arrest Man In Connection To Glasgow ATM Explosion

Police have arrested a man in connection to the explosion of an ATM on Glasgow Road in Clydebank. Authorities revealed the news on Saturday, saying that a 48-year-old man was being held in custody over the explosion.

The explosion happened on Thursday night in the town of Clydebank. The blast destroyed the machine and left damage on nearby businesses, including a supermarket. A 51-year-old man was injured during the explosion and taken to a nearby hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

Police Continue Investigation

Police believe a second man fled the scene after the explosion. Authorities are currently investigating the incident but believe this was a failed attempt. Pictures show investigators examining the destruction on the ATM and the supermarket next to it. An investigator told local media that inquiries are at an early stage to establish the full circumstances and that police officers are currently looking at security footage and speaking to residents. The investigator added that one line of inquiry is that two men were trying to steal the ATM and one of them was injured in the attempt.

Other Incidents Involving ATMs

Three months ago, thieves used explosives to blow up an ATM outside of a Matalan store in Darlington. The explosion was felt and heard miles away and many residents visited the area to see what happened. A police inspector said that the thieves probably miscalculated the explosives. Authorities also believe the thieves were injured by the explosion.

Authorities could not confirm at the time if the thieves had taken any money since the explosion left very little of the ATM and the kiosk that was nearby. Witnesses said on social media that they felt and heard the explosion from miles away. One resident said the explosion had knocked down some trees and street signs. Other residents said the explosion shook their houses.

In April 2017, five men were found guilty of exploding ATMs across the UK and stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds. The gang blew up several ATMs but were arrested in a raid following a seven month investigation. Police say the thieves were pumping gas into the ATMs and igniting them, causing them to explode. They would also force their way into buildings and drag away the ATMs. The gang was using high powered cars for the thefts. They were jailed for a total of 92 years.