The national teams have announced their squads for the World Cup and there are many notable snubs. Some of the favorites, including France, Argentina and Germany, have left out big names due to the amount of talent they have at one position. The list includes a World Cup winner and stars from Manchester United and Arsenal. Here are the notable World Cup snubs from the favorites:
Mario Gotze (Germany)
One of the biggest snubs for this year’s World Cup is Mario Gotze. The German midfielder was an important piece for his national team during the 2014 World Cup. He actually scored the winning goal against Argentina in the final. Germany’s provisional squad includes midfielders such as Gundogan, Ozil, Draxler and Khedira. Germany coach Joachim Low told reporters, according to the team website, that they watched him this season and they have to say that it wasn’t his season.
Erik Lamela, Carlos Tevez and Javier Pastore (Argentina)
Earlier this week, Argentina announced its provisional squad for the 2018 World Cup and it includes two names that were rumored to be in danger of missing the tournament. Dybala and Icardi have been included but other names such as Pastore, Lamela and Tevez have been left out. The three have made many appearances for the national team in the past. Tevez made several appearances for Argentina at previous World Cups but the team has so much depth with names such as Aguero, Higuain and Dybala that he was a doubt way before the squad was announced.
David Luiz, Alex Sandro and Lucas Moura (Brazil)
David Luiz and Lucas Moura will not be part of Brazil’s squad after disappointing seasons. The Brazilian defender scored a deciding goal against Colombia in the 2014 World Cup but this season was not very good for him. The Chelsea star had already been snubbed for qualifying games last year but the news is still a surprise as he has made several appearances for Brazil. Lucas Moura started the season with PSG but was barely getting any playing time. He then made a move to Tottenham in January but that was not enough to convince Brazil coach Tite.
The biggest surprise of Brazil’s snubs appears to be Alex Sandro. The national team will instead feature Real Madrid star Marcelo and Atletico Madrid star Filipe Luis. PSG right back Dani Alves has also been ruled out of the World Cup because of a knee injury.
Anthony Martial and Alexandre Lacazette (France)
France has so much talent that their list of snubs could easily be a starting team at the World Cup. Among the biggest snubs are Anthony Martial and Alexander Lacazette. These two would be starters in most national teams but France has names such as Griezmann, Pogba, Kante and Mbappe.
Stars such as Dimitri Payet and Laurent Koscielny were most likely going to make the squad but they suffered injuries days before the announcement.
Jack Wilshere and Joe Hart (England)
Jack Wilshere and Joe Hart will not be playing at the World Cup after months and months of rumors for the final squad. The Arsenal midfielder recently posted tweets saying that he was disappointed to have been left out of the squad. He added that he believed he should have been in the squad but finished by saying that he respects the manager’s decision and wishes the squad the best for the tournament.
Joe Hart, who has made 75 appearances for England, was also left out. The snub was not very surprising as he has struggled in recent seasons. The goalkeeper, who made appearances during the qualifiers, recently said the decision has been hard to take.
Nani, Eder, Semedo, Andre Gomes and Renato Sanches (Portugal)
Portugal named its final 23 players for the 2018 Russia World Cup on Thursday, leaving out several of its stars. The first snub is Nani, who has made many appearances for Portugal in the past. The biggest snub is probably Eder, who scored the winning goal for Portugal in the Euro 2016 tournament. Midfielders Andre Gomes and Renato Sanches have also been left out. The two are coming off disappointing seasons and Sanches was already a major doubt for the tournament before the squad was announced. Barcelona right back Nelson Semedo has also been left out. Portugal has left out ten players who made appearances at the Euro 2016 tournament.
These are just some of the snubs for the 2018 World Cup. A few national teams are planning to make their squad announcements next week, so the list could get a lot bigger. The 2018 World Cup begins on June 14 with a match between host Russia and Saudi Arabia.
Who do you think should have made their squad? Who do you think is the biggest snub of the 2018 World Cup? Let us know in the comments.