Hoax Emergency Call Reported At Home of Parkland Survivor and Activist

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 24: Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student David Hogg speaks onstage at March For Our Lives on March 24, 2018 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images for March For Our Lives)

David Hogg, a Parkland survivor and activist, was swatted on Tuesday morning but he was not home at the time of the incident. The hoax emergency call sent authorities to his address but they later found out that the family was not home.

Broward Sheriff’s office said that a hostage situation was reported on Tuesday morning. Local media reported that the call led to lockdowns at two schools in the area. Authorities said the call was made at 08:39 on Tuesday.

David Hogg and his mother are currently visiting Washington DC. David called the incident a distraction from what they are trying to fix. On Monday, the group of activists announced a nationwide tour.

David Hogg and several other students have led a movement for gun control after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The shooting, which happened on February 14, left 17 people dead and 17 others injured.

David Hogg was in Washington DC at the time to accept a human rights award. David and his fellow activists are planning to make visits in several congressional districts to register young Americans to vote. The tour will begin on June 15.

Hoax emergency calls have led to several incidents in recent years. Last year, police in Wichita, Kansas killed a man who opened the door of his home when authorities were sent to his address. Authorities later found out that the man had nothing to do with the dispute and hoax emergency call.

The dispute reportedly began during an online match of the video game Call of Duty. Two players argued and one threatened to swat the other. The player who was threatened then gave out a fake address. A hoax emergency call was made to that address and authorities showed up to the home.

Andrew Finch was shot and killed by a police officer who thought he was reaching for a gun. Andrew was unarmed and his family later said that he was not into online gaming. Shortly after the incident, authorities arrested a man in Los Angeles in connection to the call.

Several other swatting incidents have been reported since. Two of them have involved online gamers that are popular on streaming sites such as YouTube and Twitch. In January, a second incident was reported in Kansas. Authorities found out that nothing was happening in that address but said they would investigate to find out who made the hoax emergency call.