US Officials Still Investigating The Health Problems In Guangzhou and Havana

HAVANA, CUBA - SEPTEMBER 29: Personnel gather at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba on September 29, 2017 in Havana, Cuba. The U.S. State Department announced it will cut the embassy's staff by half in the wake of mysterious health problems that have injured over 20 people associated with the U.S. embassy and is currently being investigated by the FBI. The U.S. also issued a travel advisory for U.S. citizens from visiting Cuba. (Photo by Sven Creutzmann/Mambo photo/Getty Images)

US officials are still investigating the mysterious illnesses that have affected more than 20 Americans. The health problems of staff members at the US embassy in Cuba started two years ago but officials still don’t know what’s causing it.

The Trump Administration has responded to the health problems by reducing its staff in Havana. In October, it also decided to expel 15 Cuban diplomats. Cuban officials have said a few times that they are not involved and don’t know what is causing the health problems.

The health problems have also affected staff members at Canada’s embassy in Cuba. Earlier this year, Canada announced that it would be removing families of diplomats staying there. The decision came after experts raised concerns about a brain injury.

Cuban officials have also launched an investigation but have not found what is causing the health problems. The State Department says some of the symptoms include headaches, vertigo, fatigue and hearing loss.


In late May, the United States issued a health alert to Americans in China after one of its staff members suffered a brain injury. The injury is said to be similar to the ones reported at the US embassy in Cuba.

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, said that the US employee suffered symptoms similar to the ones of Americans working in Havana. The employee was working at the consulate in Guangzhou, China.

Mr. Pompeo told a congressional committee at the time that experts were on their way to the city. He also said that authorities were working to figure out what happened in Guangzhou and Havana.

It was revealed that the employee working at the consulate suffered the symptoms from late 2017 to April 2018. He was sent to the United States for medical evaluation. Wang Yi, China’s foreign minister, said after the reports that they had not found any organization or individual that has carried out such a sonic influence. The foreign minister revealed that authorities had launched an investigation.

The embassy advised its citizens experiencing these symptoms to move away from the location and look for medical help. Investigators do not yet know what caused the health problems in both cities but at one point they suspected that it was a sonic attack.

Cuba has denied any involvement while China has launched an investigation into the incidents and also suggested the US to launch its own investigation.


LEAVE A REPLY