Where Android devices have always had free access to their file systems, iOS users don’t, and this is just one of the many restrictions that Apple places on its users. When jailbreaks were freely available, many people opted to use an app called iFile, which could only be downloaded from Cydia. Now, with so few usable jailbreaks in existence, the app developers have decided to shake things up and make their app available outside of Cydia, for free. This means that anyone can use it on any compatible iOS device and firmware version.
What is iFile?
iFile is a fully-featured file manager app for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. It provides you with a ton of file management features that you will never get from Apple, including the following:
- Manage files by moving them, copying them, deleting them and renaming them
- See any file type that is on your iPhone
- Download many different types of file onto your device, including Debian files, and install them when you want
- Multiple languages supported, including English, Spanish, and Russian
- User-friendly app, with a clean interface that makes it simple to use.
- Easy management, providing many of the features usually found on Android systems as standard
- Ability to transfer files from one iPhone to another using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, including IPA packages. Both devices must have iFile installed on them
- Download and install Debian files onto your device in a similar way to how APK files are installed on Android devices
- MP3 player built-in, allowing you to listen to all your favorite tracks without needing to use iTunes and easily add new tracks to your iPod library
- Easily delete pre-installed apps and those that have been installed using IPA Manager
- No need to jailbreak first. iFile works with a jailbreak and without so anyone can use it even if they don’t want to take the risk of installing Cydia
- Updated regularly, so it stays up to date with each iOS release and to fix errors, bugs and introduce new features
- Secure app, with no viruses, malware, and incredibly reliable. The millions of happy users are more than enough proof of what iFile is capable of and how reliable it is
- Supports multi-gestures on the latest iPhone models
- Supported on iOS 8 to iOS 12
- Supports all iOS devices
- Free to use
iFile works with all the following iOS devices and iOS versions:
- iOS 8 right through to iOS 12
- iPhone 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, SE, 6, 6S, 6 Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, XS Max
- iPad 2, 3, 4
- iPad Air 1, 2
- iPad Pro
- iPad Mini
How to Install iFile:
Of course, you can still download iFile from Cydia or from TopStore app if you have one of the later jailbreaks for the 64-bit devices so if you have a jailbroken device, go ahead and get it right now. All you need to do is open Cydia or Sileo, tap on Search, and find iFile; download it the same way as any other jailbreak tweak. If you haven’t installed a jailbreak utility and want a safer way of downloading iFile, this is the way to do it.
You will need:
- Your Mac or PC computer
- Your iOS device and USB/Lightning cable
- Cydia Impactor
- The iFile IPA file
- Your Apple ID and password – if you don’t want to use your regular account you can set up a second, free, account just for use with Cydia Impactor
Follow these steps as written:
- Open your desktop/laptop browser and download the latest version of the IPA file onto your computer – save it where you will easily find it, your desktop for example
- Download the Cydia Impactor Tool to your computer and save that to your desktop too
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer making sure to use a genuine Apple cable
- Open Cydia Impactor and wait – it needs to pick up your device. If it doesn’t detect it within a couple of minutes, disconnect your device, wait a minute and reconnect it; open Cydia Impactor, and try again
- When it has detected your device, you can drag and drop the IPA file into the open Cydia Impactor window
- When asked to, type in your Apple ID/Password
- You may get a warning message pop up about Expired certificates; just click on OK and then leave your computer and device alone
- Cydia Impactor will get to work on installing iFile onto your iOS device, and this could take a while as it has to retrieve and sign the file before installing it – do not touch anything until the process is complete
- You will see the app icon on your home screen when it’s done
Fix the Untrusted Developer Error:
When you first tap the iFile icon, you won’t be able to use the app. This is because an Untrusted Developer error will appear, Apple’s way of saying they don’t know the developer. This is common with unofficial apps and fixing it is simple:
- Open your Settings app and navigate to the General section
- There, tap on Profiles & Device Management, and you will see a list of app profiles.
- Tap the developer name (it may be your Apple ID) and tap the Trust button
- Come out of Settings, and now you can use iFile freely to manage your file system
iFile is one of the most versatile file manager apps because it also works on the Mac/PC and on Android devices too.
iFile is the very best file manager you will ever use on your iPhone or iPad. Yes, there are file manager apps available in the official app store, but given that Apple does not want its users to have full access to the iOS file system, these apps offer very little in the way of decent features. This is one of the easiest and the most comprehensive apps of its type, unrivaled in features, completely free to download and use and with the added benefit of not having to jailbreak.
Manage your file system today in the way that you should be able to – download iFile to your device and enjoy all the great features it offers.