Adobe has announced that it will be shutting down its service in Venezuela to comply with a US executive order that prevents the country from doing business with the South American nation. The order, issued in August, is the latest move to put pressure on Maduro, who has refused to hold elections or step away from power.
The company has also sent out emails to customers in the country telling them that the service will soon shut down there. Adobe has also posted a support document to explain why the service will be leaving the country.
The document mentions the executive order that prohibits US companies from doing business in Venezuela. Users in Venezuela will have until October 28 to download any content they have stored in their accounts. Access will be completely removed the following day.
The announcement has caught users by surprise and there is really no option to continue using the service. The worst part for users in the South American nation is that they will not be able to receive refunds for any purchases or subscriptions they have.
The announcement will heavily affect freelancers and designers who often use Adobe programs such as Photoshop. The accounts there will be deactivated and it seems like it will remain that way since the US has added the sanctions to put more pressure on Maduro and supporting officials.
The decision to shut down the service in the country has already brought the response of many on social media. Some complain that they will lose everything since their work depends on the program while others say the decision is unfair.
The Verge got a response from an Adobe spokesperson, who said that they would continue monitoring the situation and that they would share more details as those became available.
The decision from Adobe comes just a few weeks after the US stepped up the pressure against Maduro. In recent years, the US government has announced sanctions against Maduro and officials.
The sanctions go from freezing assets to removing visas. Maduro and officials blame the sanctions for the country’s economic and political crisis. In the last three years, several US companies have left the country over the economic crisis. Other companies remain but the latest sanctions prohibit any business with the country.
A few months back, pressure from the US government forced a private oil company in India to stop the import and sale of diluents to Venezuela. The company had become a major trade partner with the country following sanctions from the US. India also warned other companies to stop business with Venezuela since they could face penalties.
Maduro, who has been in power for several years, has been pressured a lot more following the decision of Juan Guaido to step in as interim president. Mr. Guaido has the support of the US and more than 40 countries.
Mr. Guaido has repeatedly talked about holding elections while Maduro says he is the legitimate president until 2025. Maduro held elections last year but without many of the popular candidates from the opposition.
The two sides have met but the talks have gone nowhere and some of the opposition have instead worked out smaller agreements with Maduro and officials. The US has warned military officials and those with Maduro to step away from power but many remain. The latest sanctions are yet another sign that the US government will continue putting pressure.