Four people were fatally shot at a child’s birthday celebration in California on Saturday, November 29, and three of the victims were young children.
The shooting happened at a banquet hall in Stockton shortly after 6 p.m. local time. San Joaquin County Sheriff Patrick Withrow said during a Sunday press conference that around 100 guests were attending the party when someone began firing.
Police identified the victims as being 8, 9, 14, and 21 years old. Eleven others were hurt, and one person remains in critical condition at the hospital.
No arrests had been made as of Sunday evening.
Officials are asking anyone with information to reach out to law enforcement.
During the briefing, Withrow said the community needs to come together and make it clear that this kind of violence, especially toward children, will not be tolerated.
Authorities are continuing to gather video clips, witness statements, and any tips that might help them locate whoever is responsible.
Heather Brent, a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office, said detectives believe the shooting was a targeted act.
She added that it is “absolutely heartbreaking” that such a tragedy happened during a young child’s birthday party.
Brent encouraged the public to share anything they know, even if it seems minor or unconfirmed.
She also noted that Stockton police, other local agencies, and the FBI are all working together as the investigation moves forward.
Soon after the incident, police posted on Facebook saying that 14 people had been hit by gunfire and that four of them had died.
They also shared their sympathies with the victims, their families, and everyone shaken by the tragedy.
In an updated statement, the department later clarified that a total of 15 people had suffered gunshot wounds.
According to the post, investigators are still at the scene gathering evidence with assistance from the California Department of Justice.
The department added that detectives are actively working on developing descriptions of those responsible and are making progress in identifying potential suspects. They credited witness statements, video clips, and community tips for helping move the investigation forward.
Roscoe Brown, who works with Stockton’s Office of Violence Prevention, told reporters that the gathering was meant to celebrate his brother’s granddaughter’s second birthday. Thankfully, the child was not injured.
Brown said he was in Arizona when he heard what had happened and immediately drove back to California.
He shared that one of his nieces and one of his nephews had been shot and that he knew several of the other victims as well.
He said he did not yet have updates on their conditions.




