If you want to attempt to treat the symptoms of mental conditions such as PTSD, depression, and anxiety, there are plenty of medication out there, but not all of them are great. Many have negative side effects. Luckily, you can take a holistic approach to these ailments, which is what we will discuss in this article.
First of all, you can employ a healthy diet. Only eat foods with a great deal of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Eat principally fresh vegetables and natural, organic products, such as nuts, seeds, and whole grains. Green vegetables are also a great addition to your diet, particularly spinach and kale. Here are some more diet tips:
- Keep away from processed foods and refined sugar – as a rule, they are not nutritious, do not contain fiber, and often include a lot of additives and synthetic products.
- Give sugary and artificially sweetened drinks a wide berth, including sodas – they are bad for your health.
- Drink no less than 8 oz. glasses of filtered or spring water every day, and try adding green tea to your diet.
- Try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your water, or detox using herbs like cilantro or Himalayan sea salt.
Your diet should include dosages of vitamins, including A, B, C, D, K1 and K2. Minerals are also vital, along with super foods like turmeric or curcumin, flaxseed oil and coconut oil.
For anxiety specifically, you can try taking valerian root, basil, kava, kratom, dark chocolate and cocoa, magnesium supplements, B vitamins, chamomile, melatonin, passion bloom, CBD oil, walnuts, almonds, cashews, and ground flax seeds. It is thought that CBD oil can provide good results.
For depression, you can try B vitamins, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplements, St. John’s Wort, siberian ginseng, lion’s mane mushrooms, walnuts, almonds, cashews, ground flax seeds, and a full range of amino acids. Once again, however, it has been suggested that CBD is a great health supplement to use for depression.
Apparently, supplements containing turmeric/curcumin are useful for depression and anxiety. It is important to maintain a healthy diet when you are attempting a holistic approach to healing.
There may be a way to reduce depression and anxiety by checking your thyroid function in order to promote a healthier diet. Reducing stress, detoxing your body, and maintaining a diet that consists of fresh, organic vegetables in servings of mixed greens and juices ought to enhance the wellbeing of your thyroid. As we mentioned, stay away from processed foods, refined sugar and too much starch.
By drinking water containing a slice of lemon, you can adjust your body’s pH level and ensure that you are in balance, which again helps with thyroid health. Furthermore, comprehensive research indicates the benefits of natural supplement mixes for thyroid health. Many of these mixes include ashwaghanda, basil, l-tyrosine, kelp, and shizandra, among other herbs. You should also avoid too much gluten, dairy and meat.
Away from diet, there are other ways to help heal your mind holistically:
- Exercise daily – this can include walking more or using just light weights.
- Get some daylight every day – Get into nature often. Getting outdoors is good for depression, and running water, lakes and the ocean are useful for anxiety.
- Try listening to relaxing, harmonious music.
- Stretch every day – try yoga to relax both your mind and body.
- Reflect Daily. Start with five minutes per day and increase after some time, searching your soul for things you’re thankful for.
Meditation is pretty important in holistic healing. In the morning or before bed, close your eyes, focus in on yourself, steady your breathing and allow yourself to relax. Here are some different forms of meditation:
- Chakra cleansing and balancing meditation: There are plenty of video tutorials online.
- White light meditation: Sit serenely or rest, and picture white light while you breathe deeply.
- Violet fire meditation/visualization: Again, there are many YouTube tutorials available.
- Alpha, beta, delta and theta brainwave entrainment: Train your brain through meditation.
- Do visualization and supplication exercises to flush out and let go of the painful past and its emotional hold.
If you feel discouraged, raise your vibrations by placing your hand on your chest over your heart and underneath your neck, then repeatedly tap for around 15 minutes. Then, stop and feel your vibrations rise. Then again, murmur into your chest with a deep base murmur (or the ohm sound). Feel your vibrations rise.
When you are feeling particularly depressed or low, try the following:
- Shift from your head into your heart. Put your right hand over your heart, close your eyes, imagine white light shining into your heart.
- Contemplate the hues green, yellow, and orange.
- Tune in to vibrant and perky music, dance, giggle, grin, and watch comedies.
- Get out into nature with a considerable measure of trees and greenery. Attract all that green through visualization. Close your eyes and put the palms of your hands on tree trunks and draw vitality from the trees through visualizations.
If you feel anxiety, pause for a minute, sit or rest, and shift into your heart by closing your eyes and concentrating only on your breath for two or three minutes. Then, put your right hand over your solar plexus and once again envision a white light shining from your body.
For anxiety, imagining hues of blue and envisioning vast waterways or running water can help, or you can actually get into nature and find some real running water to focus your attention on.
As a final note, you should offer thanks for every one of your blessings – make a list of what you are appreciative of.